Saturday, August 15, 2009

"That's my bug!"

At the beginning of the summer my wonderful mother gave our children this bug kit (Thanks again mom! Do you hear the sarcasm in my voice???). OH the kids love it! We started the summer with all kinds of bugs in this ONE little plastic science dish. Every day I was finding new spiders or beetles sitting on my kitchen counters. This one dish has led to just about every plastic container we have used all summer getting holes poked in it and made into a bug jar. Right now we have a Welch's juice container that is holding about 500 grasshoppers in it. Last summer the number one phrase I used was "IN OR OUT!" this year it is "PUT THE BUGS BACK OUTSIDE!" or "GET THE BUGS OUT OF THE KITCHEN!"

Samuel is fearless with the bugs. One day I saw seven kids (ours plus our two neighborhood boys) squatted down looking at this bug. NONE of the big kids would touch it. Everyone was saying it was too scary. Sam said "I touch it!" picked it right up and dropped it in the jar. I think he got bumped up a few notches on the I am a man chart. The kids look at him with a new found respect LOL! Lillian ran to tell me that I should be so proud to have such a brave son!

Another thing that the kids have been doing is putting bugs in zip lock bags. Samuel loves this because they are quite portable this way. He can carry his pet bug everywhere he goes. One day he even had lunch with his grasshopper friend. He will walk around with his bug saying "That's my bug!". We are wondering if Sam will have a future in Entomology(study of bugs).

6 comments:

Denise said...

What a wonderful grandma your children have!

Amanda said...

You are one brave Mama, letting all those bugs around!! :)

Sammy is TOO cute!! He's really becoming such a big boy!

Kiera said...

Go Sammy Go! He has gotten so big also! His eyes are beautiful!

The bug in a bag is precious! I am so impressed that you are open to having the "bug jars" everywhere in the house. I can only imagine what types of fun stories have come up from that this summer!

Hope all is well!

Shawna said...

It's good to explore bugs. Sammy is just growing up. He is an amazing little boy.

Karly said...

Oh no! I am not ready for the part of raising a boy that involves bugs, lol. WTG, Sammy!

Barbara said...

I read this when you first posted and haven't had time to come back and comment. I love this story - Sammy's the bravest man on the block!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...