Sammy still has been quite willing to try everything with his left hand. He is getting less stubborn about us helping him do things that are really hard. Daniel or I will guide his hand in the movements and he seems to realize that maybe he could use some help. So instead of throwing a fit he just goes with it.For Christmas Sammy got the leap frog animal puzzle and also the car wash puzzle. They are so fun, and he loves them. I could never get him to do puzzles with his left hand. Now that he has too, it has been fun to see how much his left hand actually can do. We sat and played for a good 30 minutes with these and he did a great job turning the pieces and pressing the buttons. It was nice that he is so used to playing with these, that he knew which pieces are for the back and front. So we just had to work on turning the pieces and using his pointer finger to push the buttons and taking the pieces out. He really prefers to use his thumb and middle fingers for grasping smaller items. I am still hopeful that he will use his pointer finger with his thumb, but he may always find it easier to use his two middle fingers and thumb together. It still is a good workable grasp for him.
Challenges were that he did not sleep very well. I think he is getting his two year molars and it isn't cast related. Or at least I hope it isn't! Also he is starting to do activities with his right hand. For example on Thursday he used his left hand to push the handicap button to open the door at therapy but Friday he went right up and whacked it with the cast. Also he has discovered a way to use the cast to open cabinets and push the DVD play button. But at least any fine motor activities he cannot do with his right hand.

7 comments:
I am so amazed with Sammy and so very happy :) to hear how well he is doing.
We have a Farmer Tad fan here too, lol!
Glad he continues to do so well. Hope those molars quit bugging him.
"You made a match, look what you've done!" Lol...we have Farmer Tad here too! :)
He's doing awesome! Thanks for updating!
We have the exact same puzzle that's in the picture. It's great how quick they figure stuff out and adapt.
I think that puzzle is a staple for the kiddos! Little Dude has it also and loves it!
I am so impressed to hear what Sammy is doing. It sounds like things are going well!
I hope that he slept better last night. Little Dude started teething when we did CIMT last year and I remember it was tricky trying to figure out what was because of the cast and what was teething! I continue to think of you!
So glad that he's doing so well! I've been thinking about you - what a stressful/tiring week it must have been. But I'm glad to hear it's making a difference already!
Sounds like things are still going well with the therapy. Hope the teethers are bothering him too much.
Post a Comment