Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Physiatrist Appointment


Sammy had his appointment with Dr. Klava his physiatrist. Here are some issues that were discussed.

SMO-
Sammy is doing really well with the SMO. We LOVE the SMO. The thing that I love the most about the SMO, is that he has full range of motion with his ankle. Meaning, he can go up on his tippy toes while wearing the SMO. I also love that he can wear it all the time, it is not restictive at all. HOWEVER, because he has full range of motion with his ankle, he can stay in slight pronation. All these fancy terms you learn! You can see what pronation does for slippers. I have NEVER before had a child get a hole in their socks or slippers until Sammy. The doctor told us that the articulating AFO would be a solution for this. His ankle is slightly tight, but he softens up immediately and has full range of motion. The doctor said as long as his ankle stayed like this we could stay with the SMO. I appriciate that Dr. Klava will let us decide what is best for Sammy. He says he is very content with the SMO for Sammy but if we are concerned with the toe walking we can discuss other options. We did ask if toe walking/leading gets worse with age. Dr. Klava said sometimes just depends on the child. I hate that he is already picking up bad habits. They are going to make some modifications to the SMO due to his recent growth spurt. They are going to file down the existing toe plate and put in a new foam toe plate.

Leg Length Difference-
I think I have mentioned this before. Leg length difference is really common in hemi kids. I was expecting this to a degree. You kind of hope that your kid will miss some of the things you read about. But not this one for Sammy. Daniel and I laughed today because we don't know if his leg length difference is due to the hemiparesis or is genetic. Daniel's dad has one leg that is longer then the other one. So it could just be genetic!!! Sammy has about a centimeter difference right now. The doctor said that putting a lift on the SMO will help with this and will probably help with the toe walking too. We will see. He still has his UCB insert for the right side, they are going to file that down as far as they can to help with the evenness on the two sides. Dr. Klava said that he doesn't want to give the full centimeter because hopefully his left leg will catch up. Karen, our PT said that sometimes hemi kids have a growth spurt and it takes their affected side longer to catch up. We have been so impressed with the orthotics at our hospital, they are just great to work with. We can pick up the braces tomorrow morning. Just great service.

SHOES-
Sammy has been wearing his boots all the time. They fit over his SMO and he loves them. I didn't think to bring his athletic shoes to the appoinement. WHOOPS! I guess he really isn't supposed to be wearing slippers or boots with his SMO. The orthotics guy did say a couple of times what is best and what is practical. So I think they understand, but I still felt kind of silly. In our defense, and Daniel pointed this out nicely in the appointment. IT IS HARD TO FIND SHOES! Our main problem with Sammy's shoes, is that you have to buy them big to fit over the brace so they end up slipping off and seem clunky. After we pick up the braces tomorrow, we will have to figure out some sort of supportive athletic TIE shoes that work. I was getting excited thinking crocs for the summer......maybe it will still be fine when "they" aren't looking.

CIMT-
Yesterday, at therapy there was talk that since Dr. Klava likes to be present for the constraint casting, we should be prepared to cast TODAY. However, when we got there, he didn't have time to do the casting, so we will be waiting till he comes in March to cast. We are ready to do this. Yesterday, during OT Stephanie said that Sammy really is at a plateau of sorts right now. I couldn't agree more. While he is doing so well with his left hand as a supporter hand. He does not have any individual finger isolation, while he still has full range of motion in his supinators he really struggles with supination and his left hand is weak. Last week, I noticed him sitting on the stairs looking at his left hand moving each finger. Honestly, when we got the diagnosis, I didn't expect him to have individual use of his fingers, but after witnessing this episode it was a wake up call for me, and we really should set HIGH goals for Sammy.....the sky is the limit. I know that his left hand will never be "normal". I have come to terms with that, but I really want him to have an active pincher grasp and be able to point with his left pointer finger. Supination, from the start OT Stephanie has told me that is one of the last skills for hemi kids to master, it is tough, but another goal to work on. I often notice him doing things with his left hand that would be so much easier if he could only supinate. Next is building strength in that hand/arm. These are the things that we are hopeful will improve with constraint induced movement therapy. It has been fantastic researching this. I was so skeptical before of this but Daniel and I decided that we need to try everything. We don't want to regret not doing it. Though, I do think we are going into it with cautious optimism. I will blog the whole program in the next couple of weeks.

All in all a really good appointment. Daniel and I couldn't be more pleased with Sammy's progress thus far. I often look back to old videos and it really is amazing how much difference one year can make.

16 comments:

Amanda said...

Suzanne--
Sounds like you had a good appointment. I'm excited to follow along when you cast Sammy!!

So, interesting about the difference in legs. I hadn't even considered that with Leah. I'm going to ask her PT this week!

The shoes thing has me SO worried! I keep asking our PT about crocs and she always gives me a discouraging answer, but I see other hemi-kids in them...so I think they are going to be one of those "when they are not looking" things too! No crocs on Fridays when we have PT! :)

As far as supination...UGh, darn supination. I am forever asking our OT about it, because it scares me that Leah really may never be able to fully supinate her hand. Have you tried a supinator strap? We have one, I try to put it on Leah a couple times a week, but sometimes it's hard! Seriously...darn supination!

I'm so impressed that Sammy has individual finger movements! That's awesome!!! He's doing so great, casting is going to be fantastic for him!!!!

Anonymous said...

I think it helps to take out the insole of shoes to make more room for the orthotics.

I also think it is okay to take the braces to the store without the child and see what fits over the braces.

The braces do everything his feet need, so the shoes can be purchased for looks or low-cost.

Did you see my answer on him walking with his foot rotated out - er, maybe it is not a concern anymore (?)

Your post does an old therapist's heart good. Thanks. Barbara

crabbysister5 said...

I am commenting. Are you happy now Suzanne?

I'm glad Sammy is doing so well, and I think he will continue to surprise you on the things he will accomplice. He is a smart kid, and it will be fun to watch what he does. I used to have a realllllly hard time finding shoes for Jane, and she didn't have a brace. Have you tried Stride Rite?

crabbysister5 said...

Accomplish, not accomplice, unless maybe he takes to a life of crime.

Kiera said...

Thanks for the update! I was thinking of you all day today. I amn so glad to hear that things went well. I am sorry that the CIMT has been such an odd experience so far. I know how you had to prepare yourself for it.

A couple of things. First of all, I have heard that Nordstrom's will let you get shoes that are two different sizes. If you happen to be near the MOA, there is a Nordstroms there. We have a pair of shoes that works great for Little Dude's AFO. They are tie shoes and they were hand me down from a friend. Like Barbara mentioned, we took out the insole and it works great. They are actually the same size, but they seem to work.

My OT just recommended that we check out the Robeez to wear around the house with Reichen's AFO. I am going to look into that this weekend.

Those slippers are so cute. I cannot believe that he wore the toe out on them.

Keep me posted on the leg length difference. I know that this sounds like a silly question, but did they actually do all of the measurements to prove that out? The reason I ask is because there is one appointment where we were told that Little Dude had a leg length difference and it actually turned out to be a tone issue because he got stressed out at the appointment and his muscles tightened. They did some measurements and found that it was not the case.

Feel free to call about anything. I think of you often.

I am really looking forward to the pictures of Sammy celebrating his second birthday!

Almost 2 already! Where does the time go?

Heather said...

I am glad things went so well!! As always you are such a great example of a devoted mom. You know all this stuff backwards and forwards and don't just do what the doctor says without understanding it. Good Luck with finding some shoes!

Popcorn House said...

We have already taken the insoles out on both of his shoes. Since he has the UCB insert both of his shoes need to be the same size. The hard part with the SMO is that it wraps completely around the ankle making it hard to find shoes. Then because the UCB insert is plastic as well it makes his right foot slip out of the shoe, because it does not wrap around his ankle. The best shoes so far have been low tops for Sammy. But like I said he prefers his boots, so we have just let him wear those for the past month......

We are really looking forward to the CIMT, the doctor and the therapist just had a scheduling misunderstanding. We are so thankful that the doctor travels to us, so we are not complaining! I know that some people have to travel far to see a great doctor, and we have been fortunate to of found ours.

The doctor said that to do an official leg length measurement you need a bone scan. The doctors measurement was from his tape measure, from hip bone to ankle. Daniel said the doctor said not quite a centimeter.....we are anxious to see how they fix the brace to make up for the difference.

Liz, thanks for making a comment!!! Even if you think Sammy will take to a life of crime.....

Karly said...

Sounds like the appt went great. And I love that Sammy keeps setting the bar higher. I knew he was going to keep you on your toes.

xxoo

Anonymous said...

I understand better your dilemma on shoes if you are wanting high-tops with the splint combination Sammy uses.

I thought I saw reference to these shoes in this circle, but just in case not:
http://www.hatchbacksfootwear.com/index.htm.

I believe they are similarly priced to stride rite. I just checked, and they do not offer high-tops.

More expensive, I have had clients who took their boots and had zippers put-in (mostly western boots).

I'm confident you will find a solution to Sammy's benefit. Barbara

Anonymous said...

Okay, I can't remember my password :-(

Anyway, Cub wears out his shoes and socks, every pair. I always get to donate Boo's old shoes, but never his. They're in terrible shape with the inside of each sole worn down to nothing and holes in the toes. Takes less than 6 months a pair, 3 months if they're cheap shoes. It's gotten worse as he's aged, not better. Stinks.

Have you tried Preschoolians or See Kai Run shoes? Just a though. Good luck :-)

Amanda (the step-sister one)

Anonymous said...

Yes, the sky is the limit for Sammy! I can't believe what great strides Sammy has made. He is so lucky to have such wonderful parents, doctors, etc.

Barbara said...

Sounds like a great appointment! The shoe thing is driving me crazy. I managed to find another pair that fits ok - but ok is the key word. Not a great or good fit - just ok. We have to get a UCB insert made for Bennett's other foot. I don't know if that will make things even more challenging.

I can't wait to see how the constraint therapy goes. Sammy is doing so well already that it will probably have a great effect!

Thanks for the update - I was missing you!

Anonymous said...

Maybe the leg difference is genetic we got a laught out of this comment too; either way he's not going to let anything slow him down.

Ellen Seidman said...

Hi. I hadn't realized that hemi kids can have a difference in leg length, so this post educated me.

I am glad Sammy is coming along so wonderfully well!

Max has orthotics that he wears, and we have Hatchbacks to fit over them. It all works pretty well.

Erin said...

Thanks for the update, it sounds like it went well.

Barbara said...

Thanks for the info about the UCB insert. I hadn't even thought of how easily his shoe will likely slip off! I'm glad to hear that they fit in the shoe nicely. Shopping for the AFO has been challenging enough!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...