Monday, June 2, 2008

Constraint Induced Therapy

OK, so we are fast approaching our time to do constraint therapy with Sammy. I have butterflies in my stomach just as I am typing this. It is such a big thing because you know it works, but you also know it will tick them off big time.

Our OT talked to our doctor last week. She asked him if we could do a bivalve cast(removable). He said NO. He wants to cast Sammy's good arm for one to two months, have him in therapy every day of the week during this time. Then use a bivalve cast and drop down to two weekly sessions of therapy after that. We are hoping to just have the cast on for one month. I don't know if I can do it for two months. Daniel wants to wait until he is walking to cast at all, so at our next appointment June 25th there will be LOTS of decisions to make. I know that we will end up casting, because our doctor really likes to cast at 15 months. And both Daniel and I REALLY like him and feel like he knows what he is doing. It is just going to be HARD.

You can go to Kiera's blog and read about Reichens AMAZING results with constraint and he only has 8 days left! I can't wait to see once his cast is off. Reichen is very similar to Sammy, so it has been so nice to read and talk to Kiera about their experiences. Love ya girl!

http://ikehappens.blogspot.com/

2 comments:

Kiera said...

Oh sweetie -- I know what you are going through. Drew and I almost called it off so many times. We also debated whether we hold off until he was walking. As I told you, I cried the morning of because I was so sad that we were forcing him to do it and I cried after leaving the casting because he was so upset. After the 1st couple of days I am not sure if Reichen even notices it anymore. He LOVES using it to smack things and I think that he loves the attention it gives him. You will be surprised at how easy it is.

As hard a decision as it is, I think that it is the right one not to have the bivalve initially. We really have benefited from having Reichen in it.

CALL ME anytime if you want to talk. Our OT is wonderful and I am sure she would be willing to talk to your OT if there are additional questions.

Keep me posted and know that I am here for you. It is very hard on the folks, but much easier on the little ones

One warning - it can be used as a weapon against other children (brothers/sisters) ;)

Tara said...

Oh Suze, it is so tough the stuff we have to put our kiddos through. As you know it will be so helpful for him. I am so glad that you have Kiera to talk to about this too since she is going through the same thing right now.

Once you start to see the results you will be so happy!! Wow, 5 days of therapy!? That is excellent, the more therapy the better!!! Keep us updated.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...