
As I sit typing this Sammy is trying to put a straw in a capri sun juice box. It still amazes me how lately he just uses his left hand for everything. It is truly a supporter hand for him, he hold most large objects with his left hand so he can do the fine motor skills with his right hand. He holds books with his left hand to turn the pages with his right hand. Or holds bread with his left hand to tear pieces off with his right hand. You get the picture, but anyways, just really coming along nicely. The fine motor skills are of course going to be a challenge for him which again brings us to constraint therapy. We had OT today, I feel like we are constantly up there with therapy four days a week(plus Infant Development the other day!). I told her our concerns about Sammy going backwards with his crawling. If he was closer to walking both Daniel and I would say CAST HIM, but we have pretty much decided that we will cast in November or January. That will give him plenty of time to crawl and he may be trying to walk at that point. The girls will be in school, I will have more time to devote to therapy/exercises. I think it will be a better time for us. Daniel and I both agree that 100% we want to cast, we just want to make sure it is the right time for all of us. I am sure the doctor will have lots of advice for us in a couple of weeks. The more research I do, the more I feel like we need to encourage the hands and knees crawling. It is just so hard because fine motor skills are equally as important as gross motor, but as Steph(OT) said today we won't be missing this perfect time by waiting six months, but she did say before age two she feels is the BEST time.

1 comment:
Hey girl. I am glad you are doing a little better (cold/breast infection wise and Sammy wise). I know you still worry about Sammy and you probably always will since you are his mother (I do the same with Mia), but I wanted to tell you how insipiring it is to come on here and read about Sammy and his achievments. He is doing so many wonderful things and then he is just so adorable on top of it!
I am glad that at least you and Daniel are on the same page as far as the contraint therapy goes. It is so hard because every specialist has there opinion and they aren't all the same. You have to do the research and go with what your gut tells you. When Mia met her new PT she said Mia didn't need SMO's and to rarely use them. I already knew (from research) that every PT has a different opinion on bracing. Now that she has gotten to see Mia with and without the SMO's she see's that she does better with them and she does need them.
It's already crazy to know that you have 5 kids, but to hear that you don't have to worry about getting prego is crazier. I mean, you are my age (well, a little younger than me) yet we are on the opposite end of the whole family thing, we are just starting (well we have our first) our family and you have completed yours!!
Ok, why do I ramble on your blog when I could just email you?
Post a Comment