We were planning on casting Sammy in July. As I stated before that Daniel is not okay with this since Sammy has started hands and knees crawling. He feels like we need to encourage this and of course with the cast on he has no way of crawling besides army man. Yesterday at PT I was talking to Karen about Daniel's feeling and she basically agreed with him. Saying that most hemi's don't hands and knees crawl because it is hard to balance their weight on their affected side. Normally she sees them belly crawl and then go straight to walking. Which is fine of course. She said that "regular" crawling helps with hip aliment, builds trunk muscles, helps with balance, helps with feet aliment and lots of other things I can't remember. However she did say that our doctor has been dealing with this for 30 years and he would know what the best solution is weighing both the benefits and disadvantages. We have noticed lots of things that Sammy's crawling has helped. Since he has been putting lots of weight on his left arm he has almost no tone in his arm. He can extend his arm much higher then before and he also is trusting his left side so much more when pulling up and transitioning. All of which we want to see continue. Also, family time line wise this summer is not a good time for the cast. All of the kids are home but in the fall I will just have the boys home for mornings. I would be more free to work with him and bring him to his appointments etc. We want to make the best decision for Sammy with the best outcome, it is just so hard to know what to do.
I am still sick, just a really bad cold. I am taking the day off today, hoping that doing nothing in my jammies will help me. Moms can't get sick it ruins everything. I was telling the girls that I hate when they are sick, but at least I can take care of them. Anna said "Don't worry mom, I will take care of you."
Wednesday, June 11, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
I hope that the jammies and doing nothing will help you get better. Now, if you are really able to do *nothing* that will be amazing. How sweet Anna wants to take care of mommy.
I can see how difficult the decision is for the contraint therapy. I totally get both sides of it, but your PT had an excellent point, the doctor has a lot of years of experience. I still see your side *parents* have a different prospective. We had to deal with that with the NG tube, I don't doubt that the doctors know what they are talking about, but we didn't want Mia to have the NG tube for feedings, we felt that she would never be able to tell when she was actually hungry if we gave her some of the feed via bottle and gavaged the rest. I will say I am glad we went with our gut parent feeling because within a week or two she began to breastfeed!!
I hope you're feeling better soon. I only have Bennett and I have no time to do nothing - I can't imagine 5 kids!!
The constraint thing is a tough choice. I would say go with your gut feeling. Would it be possible to do a modified form of the therapy until things line up better for the cast? We use a sock for about 1.5 hours a day and I've seen a lot of improvement.
Post a Comment