Today at OT we did something new. They put Sammy on a scooter board and had him hold on to a small holla hoop. As long as he was holding onto the hoop they would pull the scooter, but when he let go they stopped. OH he loved this. We heard "WEEEEEE!!!" and "YAH!" the whole time. It is funny all the different things they come up with for these kids. They also tapped Sammy's hand/arm today. He napped right after therapy and when I went to wake him up it was already off. Crazy boy! When our PT does it she uses like three times the tape and anchors it really well so it will stay on for a good three days. Luckily we are there so much he will just get tapped again tomorrow.
In other news Sammy pulled to a stand a handful of times this weekend on a non slanted surface(such as the stairs which he has been doing). We were so happy to see him do it, and he acted like he had been doing this for months. I think he must be practicing in his crib. At church yesterday I was watching a little boy that is a month younger then Sammy. He was walking but still in the wobbly stage (that I love) and he was really doing similar things as Sammy. He also loved to be in a kneeling position which was great for me to see. He had one of Sammy's car and was kneeling brooming it on the chair. Exactly like Sammy does. So I think part of Sammy's not pulling up is that he wants to be at the level of the chair/table to broom the car or whatever he is playing with. I just don't remember my other kids staying in a kneeling position as much as Sammy does. But I wasn't worried about them, so I wasn't noticing these little things either.
So that is what we have been up to.

9 comments:
Yay Sammy- you are doing some awesome things! Your ice cream looks super yummy! :)
Yay Sammy! It's really good that he is kneeling though, right? I know that Kailey can only pull up with help because she tries to do it straight from sitting. Sounds like Sammy totally has the right idea.
And the ice cream looks soooo good!
Way to go Sammy! He sounds like such a smart little guy figuring out all the new toys at therapy. Question to you,What is taping? What does it do for Sammy? I have not heard of it and am very curious. Thanks!
Your little boy is amazing! He is doing so many things - the progress has been incredible. The scooter board sounds neat - a great idea to get him to use both hands. We tape Bennett sometimes but have the most difficult time keeping it on. We're lucky if it lasts a day before he pulls it off.
Amanda,
Here is the link on my blog where I first talked about the taping.
http://ourhemiboy.blogspot.com/2008/02/ive-been-taped.html
It really has been beneficial to Sammy. We have noticed a change in especially his fisting with the taping. We also have found that it increased his awareness of that whole arm. We are lucky that his range of motion on that side is very good, but he has almost no tone in his arm now. We still have plenty in his hand though!!! Let me know if I can give you any more information.
Thanks for sharing that, i'm going to ask our OT about it. Leah needs something (anything!) to increase awareness.
I do have a (dumb?) question, is it really tape? Like sticky on one side? And do they put it directly on his skin? How is he able to rip it off and not hurt himself? Ok, I guess that was more then one question!
Yep it really is like tape. It is sticky on one side. When we take it off we put baby oil on it in the bath tub and it comes off very easily. I don't think he would rip it off if it hurt him. It REALLY increases his awareness.
Thanks! I will be asking about it next week.
Sorry about the double post above...I have no idea how that happened!
Yay Sammy! You rock!! That is great news that he is pulling up. Isn't that funny how they seem to save up their big events and then act like it is no big deal -- silly little ones!!
I love hearing about what Sammy is doing!
Post a Comment