Thursday, May 8, 2008

"Gis?"

We waited all winter for our new windows to be installed. Our house, I say OUR house, but we don't own it. We have been renting it since Daniel decided to go back to school. It is huge and we LOVE it, I would buy it in a second if we could. Anyways all week they have been installing these new windows. It is so nice to be getting them, but really hard to give naps and feed kids. So today I decided to take the kids to the mall and let them play at the kid place that they have there. While we were there, I saw the cutest little boy. He was pretty wobbly on his feet but talking super well. I wanted to talk to his mom to see how old he was but I just COULDN'T. I was nervous she would say he was the same age as Sammy. I just emotionally couldn't deal with that today. After I drove around despite gas prices, till everyone was asleep and sat in front of the girls school. I just couldn't shake the feelings. Before we went home, I decided to run through the car wash and Sammy always cries when we are going through, but this time he just pointed at everything saying "Gis?". It was so cute and I realized that in life there will ALWAYS be someone that is more talented then me, prettier, smarter and even *gulp* a better mom. And that is true for Sammy too. As much as I want him to be the best at it all, he won't be, none of my kids will. It is our job, as moms, as dads to make them see that God blessed them with the talents that they have and others with the talents they have. We will get jealous and wish we were more like this or more like that, but we need to find peace with who we are, who they are. Live our lives in the best way we can and most of all be happy. I have said it before, I have written it before, but LIVING it is SO hard. It is one thing for me to say I am comfortable with Sammy's CP, but today when presented with a situation, I was not comfortable with it. It is a process I guess, next time I hope I will be able to talk to the mom with the "advanced" toddler and feel happy that Sammy is Sammy and "Gis?" is pretty good.

2 comments:

Tara said...

Sammy...that lil' talker how great that he is making so many sounds!!

It is so hard to accept that things are different with our SN kids, but you sound like you are getting to a good place. I've had times where i've seen a child that was SN and I wanted to talk to the mother so badly and ask her HOW DO YOU DO IT?! But I didn't have the courage to do it. I was afraid that because Mia may appear 'normal' or less severe than others that I would be offending them.

Sammy is doing so great. I bet the next time you are in the situation you will be able to find the strength to talk to them. When it comes up about Mia's age and the fact that she can't stand, walk, talk, etc I do get nervous about it being brought up. Here is what I think though, you never know who you might meet or help by telling them about your child. You never know the person asking you about Sammy may have a child or know of a child in a similar situation. You may help someone along the way or you may make a great friend!!

Karly said...

You know, it's always about perspective. You are looking at the advance kids and thinking of the things Sammy is not doing yet. I look at Sammy and think how great he is doing. It doesn't diminish my wonderful daughter. I am still proud of her. The questions of "what she is doing these days" are still hard...but only because I don't think people understand where she is at because there are no set milestones for kids with DS. I am sure it is harder for you because Sammy doesn't have any "obvious" issues, so people automatically tie him to all the motor milestones that are typical of kids his age. But on the bright side, Sammy is doing great and is on track to meet all of his milestones and I bet he surprises you by coming out ahead of his peers.

(((hugs)))

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...