I love Karen our physical therapist, she is really honest and straight forward. She makes fun of us midwestern people for beating around the bush. She told me that I will never meet anyone more straight forward then her, a New Yorker, and I really, really appriciate that (actually if anyone watches Real Housewives-Manhatten, SHE TOTALLY REMINDS ME OF JILL). Because I like to ask hard questions and she is always willing to give me the answers. A few months ago she told me that she thinks Sammy would be walking by 18 months. I honestly laughed because I just could not see him walking so soon. Today I asked her to give me a ball park of when she thought he would start walking. She said four or five months, six at the max. She did say that it does depend on how constraint therapy goes because he may or may not be able to pull-up with the cast on. I asked her if she really thought he could be walking in six months and she said yes, his balance is really good and he loves to walk, so YES. Karen keeps saying that his leg is so mildly affected that she really doesn't see it being a very big factor later on. She keeps saying that he won't have a noticiable limp or only very slight. I am just SO skeptical. I mean of course this is totally what we want to hear, but I also don't want to be blind sided later on. I was asking her if she thought his arm/hand or leg/foot were equally affected. She said that his hand was much more affected then his foot/leg. She explained that for most hemi's one is normally weaker. I also asked her if she knew any adult mild hemi's and she said she did. I asked if it was noticiable, she said NO not when they were as mild as Sammy. I really wish I could see Sammy at eight. I also asked if he would be able to run, she said YES, faster then you can keep up with. She has another hemi that is a bit more involved then Sammy, but still mild, she said she had to discharge him from PT because she couldn't keep up with him anymore.....he is three. Stories like this make me so happy and grateful, I just wish I had a crystal ball(as Kiera says!).
This summer Sammy will have four sessions of therapy. Two OT and two PT, I sort of arm twisted to get the second PT in, but I just really think the more the better. Just half hour sessions, which will be good because he really gets frustrated after about 30 minutes, so 30 minutes four days a week.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
What fantastic news! It must be wonderful to hear that she has such a positive outlook for Sammy. I know you don't want to be blindsided down the road but it sounds like she knows what she's talking about.
Wow!! What great and positive prognosis from the PT!! That is wonderful to hear. I am also glad to hear that he will be getting so much therapy!!! He's gonna be a busy boy this summer!!!
That is great news that he will be walking in 6 months! I am so happy for you! That is wonderful when you have PTs & OTs who are willing to be perfectly honest on the good, the bad and the ugly! I have found that these are the best people to have on your team!
He will be walking. keep the faith. We were told Alex would not walk until about 2 2 1/2 and he walked at 14-15 months. I remember the frustration with Pt all too well. It is worth it in the end. It is like a gruelling workout for us-- really hard but makes changes in our bodies.( We just don't cry when we are frustrated)
Post a Comment