Sammy got the bivalve cast the day after the cast was taken off. This is not going over great at our house. It is super bulky and he is constantly picking at the ace bandage that ties it together. I think it will work great for therapy though. It is just hard when he knows it can be taken off and on. Since the bivalve is not really going as well as we had hoped. We have thought about doing another round of CIT in the fall depending on what the doctors and therapist think. I think it could be a perfect time schedule wise for us to have extra therapies and more time for the home program. I want to do one more round before he turns three and ideally not during the winter months. We really have seen great changes even after the cast has been taken off. I am really glad that I set my expectations low though, because he is always going to be right handed. We have seen little changes and for them I am grateful. Like today he was carrying a large library book to me. Before he would of only held this with his right hand, because his left arm was so weak he never relied on it for weight lifting. Today he nicely had two hands on the book. He is WAY better at knowing how much pressure to carry and hold things. It used to be that his left hand would turn purple when he was riding on his bike or pushing a cart. But now he is much more fluid with his movements in this sense.
Daniel and I are both really happy that we did CIT. And we both want to do it again. Sammy took right to the cast and had no problems at all the whole time the cast was on. He was patient with himself and he really had a language explosion during the casting time. Saying lots of new words and lumping lots of words together. I know that this is typically the age where you start hearing more of these things. But I also think his brain had to work so hard that it positively impacted other parts of his brain as welll. I look forward to another round of CIT. I do think we will try to do six weeks again if we can. Four weeks did not seem long enough. Though it was tough the last week. Sammy was fine, but it was driving me crazy! There is a lot that you do that requires two hands, and Sammy is normally so independent that it was hard to adjust to what we needed to be doing for him. But he is back 100 percent to his normal independent 2 year old self.

5 comments:
I am glad you saw so much improvement with CIT. It is always scary to hear about and everyone raves about the sucess. Can he take the bi vale (sp) off?
way to go Sammy! I am so impressed with your experience with constraint. You will have to let me know if you decide to do it this fall.
I am thinking of you and hoping all is well!
Ummm...weird, I totally thought I commented on this!!!
I'm surprised your cast is held together by ace bandages...that sounds interesting! Ours was no less bulky then the regular cast, they just cut it off and put velcro on it.
I'm so impressed with how well Sammy has done! It's awesome!!
Hi. It is interesting to read about casting and CIT, things I have never tried with Max. I am glad they have been helping Sammy!
I'm glad you updated. I don't know anything about constraint therapy but it does seem to make sense that you would revert back to what's easiest again. What is so great is that he has obviously made gains and benefitted from the therapy. I'm sure doing more rounds will help a bit more each time. As you said, he will always be right handed but the more he can do with left the better.
Post a Comment