During the five hour trip there and back we heard more then a million times "I want to walk". Sammy is not the best traveling guy. As we were getting closer to home we started hearing mean guy voice saying "I want to walk.....BIGHT NOW". Once we are at our destination, he is wonderful has no problem skipping naps or going without usual necessities as long as we keep busy.
Sammy is no longer a stroller boy. He will still sit in the jogger for our long walks as long as Joseph is sitting next to him. But he has no problems keeping up with everyone now. I was quite surprised by how well and long he can go. Sammy walked the whole zoo without once asking to be held or put in the stroller. He really is the energizer bunny, he just keeps on going, and going. I will keep bringing our stroller places because how do you carry all your stuff without a stroller? I need to figure out a new system I guess soon though!
CIT update. It has been 3 WEEKS/21 days! Crazy how fast this is going! Over the past week we have been seeing lots of pointer finger work going on. He is using it to press things, pick up things with his pointer and his thumb (sometimes with his middle finger in there too). Much more fluid moments happening as well. All of this makes me scared to think that we could go backwards after the cast is taken off. I am hoping that the bivalve cast works well for us and he does as well with the bivalve cast as he has been with the regular cast.
Challenges have been supination. I am really not seeing a whole lot of progress in this area with the casting. I know that this is a hard thing for kids with hemiparesis. I think I have been a bit discouraged sometimes through this feeling like Sammy could do so much more with his left hand if he could just supinate. But it doesn't end here, he will have years and years of practicing supination. I am really trying to focus on all the great progress we are seeing.
I feel bad that I have been terrible about posting on this blog. I should of known that we would be busier now and would have a hard time updating! As always Daniel is WAY better at updating our family blog, so you can go here to read about what we are up to. I will try to take some videos of him using lefty in the next couple of days.

3 comments:
That is too cute about Sammy wanting to walk! 5 hours is a long time in the car for anyone, especially an antsy little 2 year old!
I am so glad to hear that you had a good trip to the cities!
The supination is hard for these kiddos. I will be interested to hear what your thoughts are as you get closer to taking the cast off.
Hope all is well!
So cute about Sammy! Of course he wants to walk, 1) a long car trip like that is so hard for little ones and 2) he really is getting to be such a big boy!!
I'm with you on the (darn) supination. So frustrating that such a small muscle causes such a hard time for our little ones!
Glad you guys had a good time visiting family!
Bennett is the same way - all he wants to do is walk and I'm so impressed with how far they can go!
Whenever, I get a bit frustrated with the fine motor skill stuff I remind myself about the same thing - that Bennett will have a lifetime to figure this stuff out - we don't need to do it all in one day or week or month.
Post a Comment