
Ever since this picture was taken in August 2008, we knew we had a paci addict on our hands. Lately, we have come to the point when paci's are no longer acceptable for public use. About six months ago we have limited Sammy's paci use to bedtime, naps and church. Since paci is not in range most of the day we hear Sammy say "Papi where are ouuuu?" as he goes up to his room to find him. It is pretty cute. Sometimes he can reach in his crib and grab paci, but we tell him to put it back. We are thinking after constraint is over we will give up "papi" forever. It will be a sad day though for all involved.
What have been or are your plans regarding paci's in your house?
5 comments:
Oh the paci (or Chompers as we call it at our house). Little Dude still uses his quite a bit around the house, although he only uses it for nap time at day-care. We are working on limiting it to the bedtime routine and to naps, but it has been lower on our list of priorities.
For Little Dude, he really likes to have it in the car. He will ask for it over and over again if he cannot find it.
I was thinking that we will begin to really try to phase it out around his 2nd birthday. I will keep you posted.
Let us know how it goes!
One of our children liked paci and one did not. The one who did not, drank from a bottle (with nipple) until he was 3.5 - and stopped without problem after the dentist scared us into it. I don't think long term nipple or paci use is a direct line to needing (teeth) braces later, BUT I haven't read the latest research. Both children got braces but I did also, and it seems a very common teen thing.
For our child who loved her paci, we transitioned her to nights only when she was two. We also talked to her about it, and convinced her pacis are for much younger children (babies). (I know, we shamed her. Bad, bad parents!) We told her nicely, ifyouplease.
She doesn't show signs of needing a psychiatrist's couch yet despite enforced paci transition.
I noticed for even a long time after, her lips would suck during sleep.
The OT/sensory people might say that a paci need should be honored. Given the diametric opposite opinions of dentists and OTs, it looks like Sammy is in a very 'safe' (from long term consequences) place now. Maybe you can think of a better way to convince him to choose to give it up - which would mean he no longer has a sensory need for it.
By all means, your best references are Sammy's grandmothers.
Barbara
Well Suzanne, you remember our paci experience... Tatie had it for a long time but just decided she had enough of it one day yeah!!! Hopefully, it will work itself out all on its own. Sammy has lots of change coming up so his "papi" will probably provide some comfort. :)
We slowly gave it up first only had it at naps and bedtime and than only at bedtime and than none at all we sent them to his baby cousin who needed them. Good luck it is hard!
Ohhh the paci! Leah is OBSESSED! I was just thinking about cutting it down to just bed/naptime and the car...but then I think she still uses it a lot during OT/PT. She goes through so much that I feel so guilty taking away something that she really likes. So, I think in the next few weeks we are going to try to limit it and then hopefully around 2 it will be completly gone. She is going to school in September so I'd like her to not have it!
Oh and I have such a similar picture of Leah with to pacifiers in her mouth! Lol!
Post a Comment