Thursday, January 29, 2009

Life Skills

Since we found out about Sammy's left sided weakness, I thought about every day activities that require two hands. Such as cutting, zipping, buttoning, cooking, even eating the list goes on and on. At first I was so worried about all the things that he would struggle with. Then I decided to just get working on them. I know that our other kids weren't doing some of the skills that I practice with Sammy. He can already zip up and down (he can't start the zipper), put on his own hat and sometimes gloves. He feeds himself completely with a spoon or fork all the time. He is great with a regular cup. I know that Sammy will struggle with some life skills, but I always think if we can just get an early start on these things hopefully he will be able to do them.

Here is one we have been practicing, turning the sink on while holding your toothbrush (or later washing an apple, doing dishes etc.). At first he would try to transfer his toothbrush "teeth" to his left hand to turn the water on and off (this particular sink he has a hard time turning on with either hand, it is a pretty tight faucet) But with practice he now reaches to turn the water on and off with his left hand without being prompted. We still have to remind him "TWO HANDS!" a lot these days. I think for Sammy it is going to be a matter of us figuring out the best way for him to do these life skills. It isn't the best video but you can at least see him trying. If you listen really closely you can hear him say "Turn off NO".

5 comments:

Kiera said...

Drew and I watched the video together and we are both impressed with how well he is doing!

He is looking so good and he is adorable! I loved the PJs!

Amanda said...

That's awesome!! He looks great!

Anonymous said...

You the Mom! I bet you can figure-out just about anything!
Barbara

Dawn said...

Awesome job Sammy!! Very impressive.

Ellen Seidman said...

That is some impressive toothbrushing! It's great that he has picked up critical life skills early on. You're so right to start him young.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...