When I was driving to church today, jamming to my church tunes. I was just overcome with gratitude for Sammy's left side of his brain. Such a random thing to be thankful for I know. But I often think about what it would be like for Sammy if he didn't have full use of his right side. I guess last year I was a glass half empty kind of girl. This year I am feeling very half full. Sammy amazes me every day with how awesome he compensates. Today at church he found a Halls cough drop in my bag. Elizabeth immediately tried to get it from him. I told her, if he can open it lets let him have it. Well, he set out to open that thing, two second later he was sucking on the cough drop. He used two hands to open it right up. If Sammy wants to do it, Sammy finds a way to do it.
I often feel guilty writing this blog just about Sammy.....because I always get to goosh about what a great kid he is. But honestly today when I was driving listening to my tunes. I thought about all of my kids. Lillian and her fun loving personality. Our home would be completely different if she wasn't born first. She makes us all laugh. I often say she has her head in the clouds and though I am constantly having to be on her case, I wouldn't change a thing about her. I then thought about my 35 year old daughter trapped in a 6 year olds body, Elizabeth. I have to remind her to have fun. Elizabeth reminds me to be the responsible adult that I should be. She is a peace maker when we need a peace maker and she is the one that the kids go to when they need help. Then there is Anna. Anna is our quiet child, we never quite know what she is thinking. She wants us all to call her "Baby Girl". Anna wants to stay home with me every day and every day I have to literally put her coat and backpack on for her and shoo her out to the bus. And every day I feel a little guilty for not letting her stay home. She is a mamas girl. Next there is Joseph, he is our sweet, sensitive boy. He wakes up every morning and says "I am a happy boy today" and "You are a beautiful mommy". He is never afraid to say exactly what he feels. I always appreciate that about him. He is the perfect big brother for Sammy. I remember when I found out I was pregnant with Sammy I was just shocked!!! How could I have three kids under three. I was honestly sick about it for a few days. But then of course you get over it and I was so excited. I look back now, and again feel so grateful that it is not me in charge of my life. I never would of planned to have the boys so soon, but Joseph is really the perfect therapy for Sammy. Sammy teaches Joseph how to share and how to help someone else. The other day at church a "big" boy almost tripped Sammy (on accident). Boom, Joseph was right there telling that boy twice as tall as him, to be nice to his baby brother. I always feel thankful for the kids that God has given to me.

7 comments:
You have a wonderful family - thank you for sharing them with us. Love watching Sammy grow - amid his siblings, and you. Barbara
Beautiful!! I love those perfect moments of clarity when we can see our children for the beautiful children of God that they are and appreciate what a blessing they are. You have written it out so well, this will be a great thing for your children to read when they are older and know how much you loved and adored them!! You are such a great mom!
What a great inspirational post
reply to your comment:)
Tomorrow will tell us more. If he qualifies thru Early Childhood thru our school district he would go to there school for the 2 hours a day and get therapy during that time.
He would also then get private therapy from where we go now and which he have been going to thru EI which stops at age 3. Our insurance will cover 100 combined visits a year so 2 a week. We really wanted PT and OT. PT there is a long wait list where we are currently going to and is the most well known place in the area and with our doctors. So we are going to continue with 2 OTs a week one in the water and one at the clinic.
The school system looks at the functioning level of the child for the most part. If you look at Sean he is functioning, he can walk, talk, run, jump. Even though he may not doing the same as a typical 3 year old he CAN do it. Even though he walks with his feet in, falls A LOT when he runs, jumps with one foot, and can only understand some of what he says he is functioning in there eyes.
I spoke with the head DT (developmental therapist) this afternoon because she evaluated Sean and she saw all of my concerns and tried to express them in the report as much as she could. She said what I said above but for us to keep mentioning our concerns with Sean socially. He doesn't know how to play with kids even though he is with them all of the time. When the therapist is there giving him cues or directions he is much better but with out her there he is really lost.
Not only that but he doesn't think to use his words instead he will push. Also if he goes first on an activity it is much better but only if everyone else follows what he does and wants them to do.
I am a mess right now...but less than 24 hours from now I will know more.
You're right - you have a wonderful family and I too am grateful that I've come to know you!
Hey there thanks! I just wanted to say thank you for all of the well wishes and prayers. I gave you a blogger award come check it out on my site:)
Thanks for enriching my day!
Post a Comment