
Daniel and I are at a crossroads when it comes to therapy. This summer we have had therapy every day of the week, and it feels like TOO much for us. I am so grateful for the services, but also want to balance this with being a "normal" kid too. I don't want Sammy to remember his childhood as running to therapy. I talked to our PT about this yesterday, and she agreed that we could drop down to two sessions per week, hopefully on the same day! So one session PT and one OT. Karen said that we work with him so much at home that she feels really comfortable with one day a week. Once Sammy is walking well we will do constraint induced therapy and then we will need to go everyday again. Karen said that there wasn't anything that she could do to get him to walk sooner. She said he just has to feel secure on that side and then he will. She saw his new trick of letting go when he has standing holding on to something. She thinks he will be walking VERY soon, I am thinking probably four to six months. I talked to her about my feeling that for Sammy playing with Joseph really pushes him more then any therapy or "dad/mom" session, because he loves Joseph and Joseph is a big boy. The way we do everyday activities the whole family is aware of Sammy's weakness and we all encourage that. Therapy is great, I am so grateful for the therapist that we have and all the things that they do and have taught us. I just want Sammy to have the opportunities to be a regular kid too.
Thanks to everyone on the CP blog for their input. Obviously, I am not keeping the extra therapies, but I think that as moms we have to follow what is best for our kid and that is going to be different for each of our kids. I have said before that I want Sammy to get the best start so he can lead a fulfilling life, I just have to balance everyones needs. My friend, Valarie and I were talking about her daughter starting school this next year and it got me thinking about time. How I spend my time with the kids. I am with them all day every day but this next year is Anna's last year with me before she is in all day kindergarten, how do I want to spend this year? How do I want to spend my time? I can spend 30 minutes working with Sammy at home but save me over an hour of travel time/parking time just doing his therapy at home. I know this will change as he gets older because his needs will change.
***This picture was take back in January. Lillian tied him on Joseph's truck. I am thankful that they always include Sammy in their games, it may not be how I would, but he doesn't ever seem to mind. Notice how fisted his left hand is......he really has come a LONG way!!!***
No comments:
Post a Comment