Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Physiatrist Appointment

We had our appointment today with Sammy's rehab doctor(physiatrist). It went well. He was happy to see Sammy hands and knees crawling. Dr. Klava agreed that we should wait on constraint induced therapy to let him focus on gross motor skills. He feels like if we would cast him now (which we didn't want anyways!) that it wouldn't be as effective because he is focusing so much right now on his gross motor skills. Dr. Klava also feels like Sammy needs a AFO on his left leg and a UCB insert on the right side. The UCB insert is to prevent a limp and/or hip allignment problems because even though the AFO is only a 1/4 of a inch deep it can cause problems if you don't put the UCB on the non-affected side. Our PT and OT both came to support and talk about Sammy. It was so nice of them come and show their support for our little guy. I was hoping he would say Sammy needs a SMO not a AFO. But, he feels like it is better at this point to give him more support to teach him how to position his foot/leg as he is beginning to walk. He said that in six month he wouldn't be surprised if he goes down to a SMO, but he would rather be more aggressive with him at first. He kept saying that this brace was not what he would have as an adult, and that this is just a training tool to teach Sammy how to walk.....hopefully without a limp. I know that they all have Sammy's best interest at heart and I trust all of them so much, it is just hard to have something that constantly will remind us that Sammy is different. I want Sammy to be Sammy, period. I couldn't ask for a sweeter, funnier boy. I just don't want anyone else to see him and think something is wrong with him. I don't know why it bothers me so much. Daniel always is like this is great, this will help him. I just sometimes see the emotional side of it. No one wakes up one morning and says "I hope today my child will get a brace!!!" I know it will help him, and in no time he will be walking and this will strengthen his leg, and position it properly. We get the braces in one week, we got to pick a cartoon character to put on them and we chose spiderman. Joseph will want to wear them.

4 comments:

Amanda said...

Oh Suzanne! I can completley relate!! As you probably know, I have a hard time with the idea of a brace. I guess it is something we just have to get used to, because whether we want it or not it's going to happen and hopefully help! I love that you got to pick spiderman, cute! We have our first appointment with the physiatrist tomorrow, I can't wait to hear what she has to say. Thanks for sharing your experience.

Anonymous said...

My $.02 - you and Sammy are getting excellent services and care. Makes me feel good. Thanks for sharing. Barbara

Kiera said...

I am glad that you and the physiatrist are in agreement on constraint. The issue of timing is so hard to determine and it sounds like you have a good plan going. Sammy is doing so well.

I know how hard it is to have the constant reminder, but you will be surprised how quickly people look past it or do not even notice. I kid you not, I would have Reichen in my arms with his BRIGHT cast on and it would sometimes take people 5 minutes to finally notice the cast. You could tell it was just noticing too because they would get a look of shock and then say "oh, he hurt his arm." I thought it would be so obvious to people.

Sounds like you guys have a great team in place for Sammy and he is doing amazing things!

Barbara said...

Bennett will be a getting a brace too sometime in the next couple of months. I'm excited to try it because I think it will really help. However, I can also understand how you're worried about it being a reminder because I feel the same way. But I think Kiera is right - we'll be the ones to notice it more than others and once they do, they'll probably forget about it very quickly.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...