Friday, May 16, 2008

What is Sammy doing Now? (almost 14 1/2 months)

I was watching some video of Sammy that Daniel took awhile ago and I was amazed at the gains that he has had over the past few months. When you are with someone all day everyday it isn't easy to see the changes. When my mom came a few weeks ago, she was like WOW look at that, WOW look at this. She really saw changes, and I want to be able to remember so I stay focused and motivated. I am going to periodically do a post strictly as "What is Sammy doing Now?"

Sammy has been consistently passing over to "lefty". I am always amazed when he does this. I mean of course he would improve over time, but he really has made some good progress the past month. One of the girls gave him a bag of snacks the other day, trying to be nice. I didn't know they had. I look down at him in the stroller and he was holding the bag with lefty and grabbing the snack with his other hand.

This past week he has hands and knees crawled about four movements ahead, but then gets frustrated because he can't go fast enough and dips down to his belly to "really" crawl. Another mom from therapy said that we should have belly crawling races cause these kids can MOVE!!! He has also been getting more daring with pulling up on things. Maybe not the safest places to pull up on. Like the toilet, in the bathtub, oven, dishwasher, the girls push strollers, screen doors etc. But every time I see him I am like WOW, look at that....amazing to me. He still pulls up mostly to his knees, but the right foot has been working on standing up. He is trying to use the bar stools as push toys but hasn't been able to quite figure that out. He also has been getting stuck a lot lately in crazy places. The other day I heard him crying but didn't know where he was.....he was under the couch. Yesterday he was trying to pull up on the dining room chairs from underneath them....didn't work too well for him.

He also said "Thant Tu"! One whole day we got lots of thank yous but now of course it has gone back in the vault. Instead of "gis" he has gotten the th sound down and says "This" all day long....I mean ALL day long. Pointing at everything saying "This". Then I say what it is, and he moves on to the next thing to discover. But uh-oh is still the favorite word. "Uh-OH" I spilt my whole bowl of spaghetti. "Uh-Oh" I just pulled Anna's hair and now she is crying. "Uh-OH" I just threw a toy and it hit your head. At therapy on Monday, Stephanie(OT) and I were having to duck because he was throwing wooden blocks at us "Uh-OH".

Sammy has also started stacking blocks last month but now he is stacking and stacking. I am always amazed when my kids start to do this, because it really seems like an advanced skill. Advanced to me at least! He loves blocks! He likes to build the block tower and then knock it right down! We have those peek-a-blocks which are great. He has a giraffe that you put the blocks in and it makes a noise, he will sit there and just keep putting them in over and over so it keeps making the noise. But the peek-a-blocks are fun because they have so many different things inside of them. Unfortunately lefty can not hold one by itself yet, so it is a righty only activity.

Sammy also loves books. I am so grateful that the two big girls are reading because Sammy loves to read, and I don't always have enough hours in the day to do everything. He has learned how to hold the book with lefty and turn the pages with his right hand.

This is one of my favorite ages. I love how excited they are to see everything and how a simple walk to them is an adventure. We go to the library once a week and they have this big aquarium, oh the fun Sammy (and all the other kids too....one day I should tell about the dead library fish and pretend spider!)has just looking at these fish. His whole face lights up and it just makes me so happy to see him enjoy the simple things.

4 comments:

Kiera said...

Go Sammy! I love to hear all of the updates. That is so cute that he is beginning to talk. Isn't that amazing?

Stacking seems advanced to me also. Sammy is doing great!!!

I got quite a visual image of Sammy throwing blocks at you two in OT. So much fun!

Isn't it fun when someone who does not see him everyday gets a chance to see him and objectively talk about progress? Out OT was on leave for 5 months and she came back amazed at what Reichen has been doing. It is so nice to hear!

Tara said...

Sammy is doing awesome!! Way to go using *lefty* I know you must be so proud! How cute that he is becoming the lil' talker!!

He is doing great! I love the updates and pictures too!!

Barbara said...

Sammy is doing so much - there has been so much good Sammy news recently - I love it!

Stacking does seem very advanced to me too. Our OT keeps trying to get Bennett to stack blocks and so do I but right now he just loves to knock them down.

These kinds of update posts are a great idea - especially when you might be feeling down. It will be nice to look back and see how much progress he's made. I just might steal your idea if it's ok with you!

The Marsh's said...

I just found your blog this morning and started reading all the way from the beginning, I have gotten this far and finally decided I need to comment, lol!

I just recently found out (at almost 1 yr old) that my son suffered an in-utero stroke causing left hemi-paresis. It is very refreshing reading your blog because there are SO many similarities between your son and mine (and the way we both think!)

I can't wait to keep reading to see how your son has progressed, so far they have been on the same track up to this age!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...