Wednesday, May 14, 2008

March of Dimes

Last night I had my book club. We never stay on the topic of the book. The book this time was The Time Travelers Wife, it was a great book, but we just didn't have much to say about it. One topic that we got onto was the new March of Dimes commercial. The one where the lady says "One day all babies will be born healthy...". It rubs me the wrong way that commercial, I keep asking people what they think of it. I mean really ALL babies will be born healthy. I just don't think that is the way God intended this life to be. I think that we have trials to make us stronger, other peoples weaknesses or trials make us grateful for what we have. Sammy's trial has made me MUCH more grateful for the simple things in my life. Never before would I of watched Joseph in amazement with his ability to simply pass a toy and holds two objects at once, I took that for granted. Never before would I be crying when Sammy passes a pretzel over to "lefty" to grab a toy. I just think we need opposition in our life. I was thinking about everything I have learned over the past two years. So much has changed! In two years we have had a job loss, moved, tried to sell a house......waited, waited, had a perfect baby, sold a house(lost money!) and then realize that our babies life will be harder then we expected. I was laying in bed talking to Daniel and I realized that even though all of this was unbelievably hard and I feel like I have aged years in two years, I can't say I would go back to that life. I have learned too much from these trials, met too many amazing people to go back to that life. Though it was a simpler life. I just feel like we become who we are through our trials and that makes the world a better place.

****I think the March of Dimes does AMAZING things. I am not knocking them, just their choice in words!!!****

3 comments:

Karly said...

I don't really like the words "healthy" or "normal." My kid is healthy and I don't really know what "normal" is...If they want to talk about children not getting cancer, then I would agree with the "healthy" wording.

And I agree, I am luckier than I could ever have imagined to be Kailey's mom.

Much love to you and your "healthy," perfect Sammy.

Kiera said...

I agree with your thoughts Suzanne! Drew and I have talked a lot about how the stroke has made Reichen who he is. Would he still be the same sweet, stubborn, amazing, wonderful little guy if he had not had it? I know I would still love him, but he was made special for a reason! Gillette here in the Twin Cities has "Cure Pity" commercials and I love those because they communicate that these kids are wonderful and do not need pity!

Tara said...

I agree with you Suze. Though this life with Mia isn't what I expected I cannot say that I would be willing to turn back time and do it a different way. She is who she is and God has a plan for her. I have grown even stronger in my faith because of Mia's *rough* start!

I sometimes feel even more special that God trusted me to take good care of Mia. What an honor that He thought/knew I could handle such a task!

I have learned so many things being a mom of a special needs child, stuff that I am not so sure I would have learned if she was a *typical* kid.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...