
I always have gotten the kids shots right on schedule and never thought twice about it. The only reaction we have ever had was when Lillian got her kindergarted shots, the DTAP gave her a big knot in her upper arm and was hot to the touch. Besides that we have not had any problems. I am VERY PRO vaccines. However, I now found myself between a rock and a hard place as what to do about Sammy. On one hand he never has had any problems with his shots before. But now we know that he is at risk for seizures and we also now that his brain is not like other peoples brains. So what to do, what to do! Daniel of course said that whatever I thought and the doctor thought was fine with him. I tried to find research online regarding this, but it is just SO MIXED! I went into the appointment just feeling like I should trust Dr. Gaul and see what she thought. He was supposed to get four shots, two live shots; MMR and varicella, and two dead shots Hep A and prevnar. He has had the prevnar before, so I wasn't too worried about this one. After talking with Dr. Gaul she said that she understands my concern about overloading his immune system but weighing that with my desire to vaccinate as well, thought that we should do the Hep A/prevnar and then wait six weeks to do the MMR/varicella. He will then be 15 months and be ready to get the DTAP and we will then hold off on that one till he is 17 months. Samuel had no problems at all with the shots besides the crying. He slept all night long and was really good all day today. I am super relieved that it went so well, but of course these ones I was not as worried about it is the "LIVE" ones that worry me more. Which I think Dr. Gaul sensed and why she thought we should wait on those two.
Samuel is a little peanut. I am surprised that he is only 21 pounds with the amount of food that this kid eats it is AMAZING how fast his metabolism must be. And he is really short too I think he was 28 1/2 inches, I was hoping the boys would get Daniel's height.....but Joseph is pretty short too. I think he was maybe 29 inches at his year check but now he is roughly in the 30 percentile. Anna has always been in the 98 percentile and Elizabeth following closely at 75th. Lillian and the boys are little shorties. Though from what I hear boys can grow later on, so here is to hoping!!!
Everything else went really well, I had her check LOTS of things for me.....she must think I am NUTS! I think I am just cautious. She did check everything I wanted and everything was great. After we were done the poor kid got dragged around on errands and the girl's school. By the time we got home it was after five and he fell right to sleep. I laid him on the pillow because I didn't want him to really sleep....Daniel came home shortly after and took a million pictures. Joseph woke him up about five minutes after he was laid down, poor guy!
3 comments:
He is getting so big! I completely understand what you mean on the shots. We had a hard time deciding and we ended up doing the Convax. He has a big lump on his leg from it, but the nurses line told us not to worry unless he seemed to have a fever or have seizures (I do not know if she realizes the fear that strikes in me!) I believe that we will do the MMR, but I still need to research.
That picture is too precious. I am glad Sammy did well with his shots and you have a plan you are comfortable with for future vaccines.
Ahh look at the little stink bug! What a cute picture.
Even things like shots, that seem so simple to some people become such a big deal to us!! It sucks!! Ok, I don't want to be a downer like that. I hear your concerns and I think you were wise to voice your concerns!!
Post a Comment