Thursday, March 13, 2008
Relieved!
We got back from the neurologist. This guy was a ROYAL pain in the you know what. BUT he did tell us a few good things that we were worried about. Number one SEIZURES, we all worry about these in the CP world anyways. I was more concerned because with the polymicrogyria it seems like it was another risk level we were in. He said that "normal" people have a 12% chance of having a seizure, Sammy has a 50% chance, and he wasn't at an increased risk because of the polymicrogyria but because every kid with CP is at risk. He said that since Sammy is so high functioning now he would not expect him to do anything but keep functioning. Yes, polymicrogyria is SUPER rare. In his 30 years he has seen two cases besides Sammy. He kept saying "We can't predict the future." Daniel finally said "Yeah, we get that you don't have a crystal ball but what do you think!" I was like "GO HONEY!" Totally a crappy doctor, but he did confirm what our nice Dr. Klava said this is the cause of the CP not another condition. It is still a static condition and he is still on the mild end of the spectrum. He was also amazed at how much Sammy uses that arm and was surprised we caught it. As the pediatrician said last week "So we have a little CP?" Three months ago I was devestated by this news, now I am doing a little dance that we just have a little CP. OH and he did say that his speech centers should not be affected at all and that he will walk. I still don't understand why they look at whether the kid is sitting up as an indicator of walking? If anyone can enlighten me please do!? The other great thing that he told us is that if he does have a seizure it wouldn't be a seizure that would cause any lasting damage to him and the meds control it most of the time. We both felt like with our sweet psyiatrist and this crappy neuro guy we have enough answers right now. If he doesn't progress then maybe we will look into getting a referral down to Mayo or Gillette. But right now we are hopeful that he will keep doing so good and just move forward with the therapy. I am just amazed at the differences in doctors. It really is so important to have a doctor that you trust and feel confident in. If we had just heard this from him and he kept saying "We can't predict the future, your "normal" seven year old could have epilepsy....we just don't know!" I would be crying right now and worried about Lillian. LOL! But because I had nice Dr. Gaul and Dr. Klava talk us through everything this was more like the third oppinion we needed to put it all together.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
I am so glad you got some good answers today. It is hard when the neuro does not have good "bedside" manners.
I am glad you got good news today. You sound like you are in a very good place with everything right now. I am glad Sammy is doing so well. That's cute 'a little CP' that's a good way to look at it. So, about the sitting thing relating to walking. I was never informed of this by any of Mia's therapists but I bought a book (Teaching Motor Skills to Children with CP and Similar Movement Disorders) and it had the info on the importance of sitting in it. I am so glad I got the book it has been so informative. Anyway, according to the book "The physical therapist's objective is to have them sit up by the time they are two years old. This is because children with cerebral palsy who sit by two years of age are more likely to walk than children who have not achieved this goal ."
Post a Comment