Friday, March 7, 2008

PT today

More confusion for me today. Karen has been working with ped's for 15 years and she has never had a child have polymicrogyria. She says again that Sammy is SO mild that they were worried everyone would think they were NUTS for saying he even has CP, and now all of this comes of it. She told me that the brain is such an amazing thing and can find all kinds of new pathways. I feel like I need MORE answers and there just not out there. She had me talk with another mom there about what is happening with her son and it made me feel better about everything. But I am not a patient person. Both her and the PT said that the neuro doctor has NO bedside manner and will just make us more scared. But I don't see a way around this, because of our insurance we have to get an in town opinion before we can get a second opinion. ARGH!!!! Karen did say that she will call EI and get that ball rolling. I just really want the best for Sammy and want to get as much therapy as we can. I feel like we are doing the right things, I just want MORE of it. I told our family doctor who said "You guys aren't parents that are putting him in front of the tv." I said while that is correct, he actually doesn't watch tv. However, I have five kids and as much as I wish I could devote more time to his therapies, I have decided that I need to be the mom to all of these precious kids that God has given me. Two months ago, Sammy would stay up later then the other kids and then I would work him for a good hour. But over this past month, Sammy and Joseph have been taking naps and going to bed together. They are both sleeping so well together and are starting to really have a cute little brother relationship, I don't want to not have that as well. I think if EI comes here and sees that I have five kids, but more importantly a 3, 2 and 1 year old that they maybe can offer some ideas about how to get those "sessions" in. I am lucky in the fact that Sammy LOVES to nurse, so I stretch his arm/hand/foot during those times. I feel like he is getting enough stretching, but not as much one on one play time. Our family doctor said to remember that Sammy is learning so much from playing with his brother and sisters too.

Just venting really. I know it will all work out. And we are new to this. The sweet mom I met today, said take it day by day. She said that there were times where they took it hour by hour. I think that is so true, sometimes we just want all the answers right now. And it really is a process. I do feel that we are getting a late start, when really we aren't, but it feels like it.


2 comments:

Kiera said...

Suze - It sounds like you are doing wonderful things with Sammy and I agree that playing with the other kids will help so much. The one thing that someone mentioned to me was that when you first get the diagnosis, you feel like you are in a sprint. It turns out it is really a marathon and you need to set the pace that works for you and your family (I love to run, so this metaphor worked for me :) You are going to do great and Sammy is so blessed to have such amazing parents and siblings.

Karly said...

It's such a hard balance, don't you think? I mean you want to never feel like there was something else you should have done to help them, but you also don't want their whole life to be therapy...they need to "live" too.

You are doing a great job, mama. With all your kiddos!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...