Sunday, November 1, 2009

H1N1 and first school meeting


Well we have been sick, sick, sick this week. Last Friday Elizabeth woke up with a high fever. Luckily for her she was only sick for a day and a half maybe, she perked right up with motrin/tylenol. Anna woke up Sunday with a high fever as well. She wasn't quite as lucky as Elizabeth but about four days later she was back at school and doing good. Joseph came down with it next and Sunday night was out for the count. He by far has been the worst hit. We think that due to his asthma he just is having a harder time kicking it. We brought him in on Thursday to get a chest x-ray, which told us he had pneumonia. A couple prescriptions later and still he is not his usual self. So we may have to bring him back again tomorrow. His fever is gone though so last we talked to the doctor on Saturday that is a sign that things are going in the right direction. Just hard to watch your baby be so sick. Plus he is a bit of a dramatic sick person (picked this up from his mother). Daniel was the next hit. He usually does not get sick. He normally will be the one taking care of everyone, so this was unfortunate to say the least. But luckily he was still able to take care of us. Because right after he got sick Lillian and I followed close behind. Samuel still is the energizer bunny, Daniel says he is inspiring us but it has been a bit annoying as he runs around us sick folk laying on various couches and chairs. Daniel thinks the reason Sam has not been sick is that he already had this in September. Samuel was sick for a few weeks with a temperature and a bad cough, I chalked it up to a two year old sickness and thought not much more of it. I hope he is right and he won't wake up tomorrow sick.

Before I was hit. I met with our infant development therapist, plan coordinator and the school district. I was really nervous about this meeting. Our infant development therapist had told us that she doesn't think Samuel will qualify for services after age three. That he was within normal limits on his last evaluation and that the school looks at function rather the diagnosis. We still don't know if he will qualify or not. But the school district rep was really advocating for head start for Sam. She felt like he would do really well there and that being with other peers would be great for him. He would be able to get OT there as well which would be nice. Unfortunately the school district does not have a say as to whether or not he can get into head start, but she said that normally if they ask for a student to be placed there they will honor that. So hopefully it will work out for Sam to get into head start next September. It would be cute to watch Joseph and Samuel ride the same bus to school. Joseph always tells Sam that one day he will ride the bus too. That would be nice. At the beginning of December we have our next meeting where they will tell us if he qualifies for preschool special needs and/or an IEP.

3 comments:

Dawn said...

Oh man, I'm so sorry you've all been sick. I'm just praying to dodge this flu bullet. It doesn't sound cool at all.

Good luck with the school scene.

Barbara said...

I'm sorry that you've all been so sick. I hope you're all feeling better soon and Sammy stays healthy. This flu sounds nasty. I'm hoping that Bennett and I already had it when we were sick back in August. It seems to be everywhere - Bennett's preschool was cancelled this morning because all the therapists were sick!

Erin said...

I am sorry you all have been so sick. They told us the same thing about Sean and he qualified. Just bring with you all of your concerns in writing and everything will work. Congrats on the CNA test, how was it? I take mine on Friday!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...