Tuesday, June 16, 2009

After Age THREE

I have been thinking about this for two weeks now. We had our Infant Development therapist and our case manager out last week. We went over Samuel's recent evaluation. YEAH, he was at age level in speech and cognition (I think he is above age level! But I am biased!). We haven't gotten back the fine and gross motor skills, but she said that he was not behind really in anything that she can think of. Since they work with the school system they look at what they can do with BOTH hands, so that helps his fine motor scores I think. Anyways, she basically said that he wouldn't qualify for preschool special needs when he turns three. Because they have to be delayed in two areas or over 50% in one (if I am remembering right). Like speech and OT. I asked what he would qualify for and she said that we would have to wait until the first meeting which is in a few months to talk about the other services the school district offers. At first I was like YEAH, my son is AWESOME! But then I was like oh he won't qualify for services when he actually could benefit from them. I remember even before the dx, thinking that he was just really quick to pick up on things. HOWEVER, he is clumsy and has to try and try for the physical things. The other day he was trying so hard to climb up on our bed. We have a pillow top mattress and it is high off the ground. He was trying and trying, Daniel decided to give him alittle help. OH BOY did Sammy get mad at him "DAD stop!!", he has this determined spirit and does not want help. Then a second later he got up all by himself but was still mad at Daniel and said "NO NO Daddy! I do". Daniel and I just laughed. This got me thinking about Joseph or the girls? They don't have to work so hard to do these things. Because Sammy is able to compensate should he not qualify for extra help? If he gets into head start I will not bat and eye, I LOVE their preschool program, and I think it would be great for Sammy. They also pull the kids out for therapy, which is nice. Such a double edge sword. On one hand no one wants their child to be delayed but if they are they get more therapy. I often think back to even a year ago, how worried I was about Sammy. Now I watch him climb to the highest slide at the park without even thinking all by himself (keep forgetting the camera will take a video next time we are there). I hear other moms tell me he is brave and daring. My heart is in my chest as I stand way down below worried he will fall down.....but he doesn't and down he comes only to climb right back up.

5 comments:

Dawn said...

That "double-edged sword," we're victims of it too. As you said, so glad our kids are doing so well but still they need the services. I'm glad to hear that Sammy is doing so well. And the bed story, Austin is just now big enough to climb up normally. He would always kind of "high jump it" to get on. Too cute.

Kiera said...

That is a hard situation. I worry about the three year cut-off also. For some reason our EI OT seems to think that she will be able to qualify Little Dude for services which is surprising to me because I think that he is doing well. I had a conversation with my private OT and I was telling her that I felt like I walk a fine line because I want to talk up all of the wonderful things that Little Dude is doing, but also realize that I need to emphasize the not-so-good things so that we can maintain services.

That is a tricky thing for me because I do like to look at things so positively. It is hard to know that in some cases, the best thing for Little Dude will be to point out everything that he cannot do.

I am so glad that I found this community of Mom's who have kids in the middle land. I know we have talked about it before, but there are times where I feel bad on some of the boards and lists because what I am dealing with is so minor compared to others, yet for Little Dude it is going to be something that needs attention.

Well, I am rambling, so I should probably go. Feel free to call me anytime. Sammy & Little Dude will age out around the same time, so we should keep talking specifics and see if we can learn anything from each other on the best way to handle the transition

Popcorn House said...

Dawn, what services did Austin get at age three? It makes me feel better knowing I am not alone!

Kiera, thanks for your words. We will have to have a talking session after we have our first meetings. I think what is hard is that they look at function in the schools. Can he do this or that, not can he USE his left hand by itself or that he has CP. Sammy and Reichen are the same in that those two handed activities are not that hard for them because they have good use of their affective hand. Example opening a ziplock bag. Sammy will knock that out like it is nothing, which is age appropriate, HOWEVER will he be able to button his pants????? The requirements get increasingly harder with age, and this is what worries me. At least we have almost a year to figure all of this out.

I am glad that your EI OT feels like Reichen will qualify, I really think it is so different state to state. Maybe because Reichen qualifies for speech services (which I don't think he needs LOL!) and OT that would be his two things??? But whatever they offer TAKE IT! Better to have more options then not enough. I am still hoping that maybe CP is an automatic qualifier. It seems like it SHOULD be. I need to ask about that next time I meet with them.

Barbara said...

I too agree with the double edged sword analogy. Sammy is amazing and has made incredible progress and he will continue to do so - he is so determined! However, as you said he would also benefit from extra services.

I have no advice as I don't really understand your system but wish you luck in getting whatever you can for Sammy. You are an amazing mother!!

Erin said...

It definetly is a double edge sword if you want to talk in more detail let me know we just went through this in Feb.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...