The past couple weeks Sammy has gotten more consistent at lumping two words together to form a mini sentence. He will say "Want down" "I eat" "I poo-poo" "More food" simple words together. Little two word sentences. I was happy when he first started doing this, because it means he gets the concept of talking. I always worry about cognitive impairments, so I get super relieved when he passes one of my "milestones".
Sammy also has been trying to have full conversations with us. He gets so excited walks over and just starts talking with his hand (notice I didn't say hands). It is actually the funniest thing I have yet seen. I thought that his clapping was endearing this is even better. The first time he did it I laughed so hard. All of our other kids would do this about this age too. They see other people talking fast and using their hands. So they think they should use their hands and talk fast too. But Sammy gets his one hand going and has this look on his face like you know exactly what I am saying don't you mom. I have come along way in almost a year, never did I think I would get to a place where having my kid talk with one hand would make me laugh. But he just really is the cutest thing it is hard to get down about his limitations. Sammy always finds a way to make anything look cute. I remember once on a CP board that I used to go to until I started blogging, a mom said that the other kids in her daughters class asked her daughter how she walked like that. These girls wanted to walk like her, the cool way. At the time I was like "REALLY?" Because I just pictured Sammy getting made fun of, kids picking on the poor kid. Now I see his personality and I can see that others will want to talk with one hand and clap like an old rich person.
One more quick fun story of the week. The other day Joseph was going potty right before they were going to take a bath. Up walks naked Sammy trying to pee in the toilet too. Joseph says "Good boy Sammy!!" It was the highlight of my week. Speaking of which we had infant development come last Friday and during their visit Sammy needed his diaper change he said "I poo-poo". Both of the infant development workers were like you should totally potty train him. I was like yeah I have tried potty training a girl at this age and it was not pretty. I am not going to train a boy at this age. After this event, he may just train himself!

2 comments:
That's wonderful news about the mini-sentences! Bennett doesn't have any spoken words yet but he can tell wonderful stories with his hands. He points, waves his arms and "talks". Wouldn't it be wonderful to know everything they're trying to tell us at this age?
Funny potty story! One day I would love to have a sibling for Bennett. It must be so much fun watching them learn from one another. I think you're right - Sammy may just potty train himself or maybe Joseph will do it!
I think that Joseph will potty train Sammy too. Two brothers close in age are wonderful! Big hugs,
Great-Grandma Reis
Post a Comment