


Today Sammy got his new braces fitted. I was actually surprised by how short the SMO is compared to the AFO. Also, I am loving that he can have FULL range of his ankle (notice how the SMO has the back cut out). We decided to go with Scooby Doo this time. Sammy loves Scooby Doo and kept saying "ooby-oo". After the brace fitting we came home and the shoes that we found to fit over the AFO still fit AND worked great over the SMO. Instead of shopping for shoes I took a nap. He seems to be tolerating the brace nicely and walking fine in it. In the video you can see how he can squat down in the brace without any difficulty. Sammy wasn't able to squat with the AFO on. I wouldn't say that he is walking better in the brace but he is definetly walking just as well and hopefully as he gets more used to it we will say he walks better in the brace then without.
It has been a great holiday for me!!! Daniel was at home all day. He is cleaning the kitchen and told me to sit and blog! NICE!!! Then in a hour I have my book club meeting, so I won't even have to put any kids to bed.
5 comments:
Thanks for sharing these. Sammy is doing so well. He is all over the place. Drew and I were so impressed with his walking and with how smoothly he dropped to his knees to get the ball under the table!
We are going to be talking about bracing soon with the little dude. I will keep you posted as we learn more!
Great video! He sure is sturdy on his feet - I love how he just motors around bending and getting his ball. Hopefully this brace works out better for you than the solid one.
We just got fitted for Andrew to wear a brace... any advice on shoes?
Thanks for sharing. What a great video. Hey I just blogged about your request. Thanks i am just glad we all have either:)
Thanks for showing those photos! It's good for everyone to see that all braces are not AFOs. Going into smaller brace(s) is a sign of progress. And even without dramatic visual differences in how he walks, the braces are holding his ankles in a better position for bone growth - preventing possible problems later.
Post a Comment