Saturday, September 13, 2008

Sammy's First Parade and my ramblings.....

This picture cracks me up because he looks like such a big boy. He really liked the parade. I thought he would get scared of all the loud noises and such, but he didn't. He couldn't find the word to express his excitement so we heard lots of "car-car!" "wow!" "oh" "puppa". It was a great time!!!

We have stopped counting all of his steps. He is walking more and more every day. He starts out walking but once he falls down he crawls. We are seeing that standing back up is getting easier for him. I am anxious to see our PT on Tuesday. It has been three weeks!!! She will be amazed at his new skills. I want to ask her about standing back up, the BRACE, his knee bending and locking, his foot, he toes.......

The brace. I don't know what to write about this, besides it is not working for us at all. When he wears it he tolerates it great. No problems without his shoes on he can crawl in it, take a few steps, crawl up stairs, cruise, his movements are getting much more fluid with the brace on(this was my original problem with the brace)......he has figured out how to do tons in it. However, when we take it off he then has a hard time walking. This concerns us. Because number one lots of kids with hemiparesis have decreased sensitivity on one side which is heightened by the brace. With the brace on he of course can't feel the ground, etc. So far Sammy hasn't had a decreased sensation on his affected side. Meaning his reflexes appear to be the same on both sides. We don't want this to happen because of wearing the brace. One day he had the brace on for almost 16-18 hours. When we took the brace off, (they want him to wear the brace most of the day but have "some" time without it on) both Daniel and I noticed that he had a hard time walking, bending his knee. Since this day we haven't really had him wear it, we want to find out what our PT thinks.

Splint. Our OT made us a great splint. It is a modified thumb loop splint. She should be proud of how nicely made it is. Well, we couldn't find the thing for two weeks. I finally found it in the most obvious spot ever, so obvious I didn't even think to look there! Anyways, I put it on and Sammy looking at me the whole time procedes to undo the velcro and throws it right on the ground. I think we need to go back to keinso taping. It is what we have seen the best results from. We stopped this summer because he was wearing short sleeves and he would take the tape off while he was supposed to be "napping". I think now that he is in long sleeves, he won't mess with it. What I like about the taping is it is theraputic and gives his arm/hand a constant stretch with it on. It really made a big difference for him. Like I said in a previous post he has been tight. His hand has been so nice and opened lately, and he grabbed a cracker twice with a pinch grasp!!! But his forearm is tight, really, really tight.

We had a six month review for our IFSP plan through infant development. They must think I am a crazy person for talking so much! He has met every one of his goals that we set besides extending his left arm when dressing. We set some new goals for him to achieve in the next six months. I really can't believe that six months ago he was still army crawling, now he is standing up on his own, walking, crawling up and down stairs, getting into everything in sight, wrestling with Joseph, jumping in his crib.

Joseph and Sammy are missing Anna while she is at preschool. I am actually liking it. She needed to go. When she gets home we have some Anna/mom time, since the boys are already napping and then she needs a nap. Even on Friday when she didn't have school, I had the IFSP meeting and she was supposed to just play quietly by herself. After the meeting I went to see what she was doing and she had put herself down for a nap. It wears her out and she is getting to be with other kids her own age.

Also loving the fall weather we have had perfect weather here. Just beautiful. No complaints!

4 comments:

Amanda said...

Suzanne-
I have no advice about the brace as we are not there yet, I hope your PT has some answers for you.

As far as a splint, Leah wears one (almost) daily, almost--because sometimes I forget! She is still very fisted and when wearing the splint I notice she is much more relaxed. When she has been wearing the splint all day I usually do a lot of brushing, massaging and different tactile stimulation during the evening, or I take it off to do it throughout the day. I know that you probably do that/or know that, but thought I'd try and help a bit! :)

Sammy is doing so great! It's amazing that he has hit all of his goals and is walking! That's awesome!

I just wanted to repeat what I said on my blog (in the comment section). Thanks for always checking in on us! You are a wonderful commentor and I always appreciate your comments! You and Sammy are a great source of inspiration to Leah and I! So, thanks for always being there! I'm so glad to have found the blogging world! I can't imagine what people do without it!! :)

Erin said...

I am sorry I have no advice about the brace but, hopefully your PT will be able to assist you.

Has your pt or ot mentioned hot water therapy? Sean goes to OT in the water and land. But in the water since it is warm water his muscles are more relaxed and will use his right side A LOT more and more easily.

Sean fists a lot still, especially when he is trying to do harder things. We are doing brushing, and having him touch different textures to stimulate his senses.

Sammy is doing great and how exciting about walking. That is awesome.

Erin

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on meeting all the goals. That is so great. I can't imagine what all the effort you must have to put in to get him there. You guys are doing so well! It must be hard to put him in the Brace and Splint especially since he wants it off. I hope your therapy appointments are satisfying and you get the answers you need!

Barbara said...

I too have no advice about the brace but am glad you posted about it. We hope to have Bennett's within 2 weeks.

We haven't tried a splint. We were doing taping too and it seemed to work well but like Sammy, Bennett just kept pulling it off. I think I'll ask for a refresher lesson and try it again now that we'll have long sleeves soon.

Sammy has made wonderful progress! Keep up the good work.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...